Re: Reiser4: Format 4.0.1: Meta(data) checksums

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Ivan Shapovalov <intelfx100@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-09-13 at 05:57 -0700, Jose R R wrote:
>> Here is some additional info:
>>
>> A while back, I installed Debian Jessie AMD64 into a KVM virtual
>> machine and also included the initial non-systemd boot argument:
>> preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
>> < https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd >
>>
>> Afterwards a previous reiser4-patched Linux kernel 4.0.x was
>> installed
>> into the virtual machine and its root fs was subsequently formatted
>> reiser4.. The virtual machine was working fine:
>> < https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKIKgoZUAAIFx12.png:large >
>>
>> Yesterday, I installed into the vm a newer 4.1.6 kernel built "the
>> debian way" except that it was customized with the newer 4.0.1
>> Reiser4
>> patch. Upon rebooting the VM, I captured a sequence of 4 snapshots
>> (by
>> paging down) that basically recreate the fail that I experienced
>> priorly in the physical machine:
>>
>> < https://metztli.it/blog/index.php/ixiptli/non-systemd-debian-sid-re
>> iser4 >
>>
>> Accordingly, seems the *lack of systemd* is enough for a Debian Sid
>> instance to create a bad initrd.img. I have no idea if issue only
>> appears with Reiser4 root fs or if it includes other file systems as
>> root. Work in progress...
>
> It's presence/absence of crc32c module that matters. Reiser4 does not
> specify that it needs one.

Applied your 3 patches
1/3 < http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=144218573602435&w=2 >
2/3 < http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=144218573602436&w=2 >
3/3 < http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=144218573702437&w=2 >

into kernel.org Linux Kernel 4.1.7, but Non-systemd Debian still boots
into an emergency shell
[...]
mount: mounting /dev/sdaX on /root failed: no such file or directory
Target fileystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: no such file or directory
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.
[...]

Typing dmesg:
[...]
reiser4[exe(801)]: reiser4_init_csum_tfm
(fs/reiser4/checksum.c:11)[intelfx-81]:WARNING: Could not load crc32c
driver

In a couple of days I will build the kernel "the Debian way"; I will
specify -- in relevant module section, at file [kernel source
tree]debian/installer/package-list:
[...]

Package: reiser4-modules
Depends: kernel-image crc-modules # <--- will add that
 This package contains the Reiser4 filesystem module for the kernel.
[...]

As well as at /usr/share/kernel-wedge/package-list

We will see what happens.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it