Re: Unable to boot default installation of Debian Jessie with lvm and encryption enabled

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Nyberg <tomnyberg@gmail.com> (2015-06-29):
> I installed Debian 8 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 4.3.12 r93733
> running on Windows 8) with a virtual hard drive of size 16 GB. It
> installs fine, but it fails upon boot. It seems it cannot find the boot
> partition or something possibly because some module is failing to load.

If you're getting to the “cannot find root device” message and
subsequent prompt, then the boot partition has likely been found; it's
the root partition instead that's nowhere to be found.

> I've searched for these terms online and have found similar problems,
> but wasn't quite sure if this is different. I was going to open a bug
> report, but I was a little unsure where to do that and what info to
> provide (new to Debian). I'm pasting in the output of the attempted
> boot. If there is useful information that I'm not providing, please let
> me know.

If you're thinking about #721519 [1], that was for automatic inclusion
of the ehci-orion driver into the initramfs, but that's only for other
platforms if I'm reading the kernel config files correctly:

    kibi@wodi:~/debian-kernel/linux-jessie$ ack EHCI_HCD_ORION
    debian/config/armel/config.kirkwood
    591:CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_ORION=y

    debian/config/armel/config.orion5x
    508:CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_ORION=y

    debian/changelog
    4403:  * [armel]: Enable MVMDIO and USB_EHCI_HCD_ORION on Kirkwood and Orion

 1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=721519

Having a modprobe warning about ehci-orion not being found in
modules.dep might be a side effect, but shouldn't have anything to do
with the actual module being missing (if that's the issue at hand here).

What you could do is:
 - Use the same installation device but start with the rescue mode[2].
 - This should let you discover your disc(s) again, and allow you to
   mount your root partition.
 - Encryption should be detected, and you should be prompted for a
   passphrase.
 - Once that done, extracting installer logs and sharing them through an
   installation report [3] would be nice, so that we get some clue about
   your setup, and possibly figure out what's missing/not working.

 2. https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch08s07.html.en
 3. https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s04.html#problem-report

Mraw,
KiBi.