Re: Network installation with custom repositories

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 02:10:28PM +0400, Vasily Makarov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm making a distribution based on debian-armhf and I need to make
> this distribution to install over network on devices which are able to
> boot kernel+initrd image over tftp. Installation process should take
> packages from our public APT-repository + original debian repository
> and from local mirrors of this repositories in case of failing
> internet connection. After installation the devices will pull updates
> from those repositories.
>
> I'm new to packaging, so I'm looking for some advice.
>
> Here is what I'm going to do:
> - setup (with reprepro) public APT repository with our packages. The
> packages of this repository belong to some component (lets name it C)
> - add alternative apt package (with this repo added to sources.list)
> to C component
> - setup local mirrors of our own repo and of debian repo
> - make kernel+initrd image with debian-installer available on local
> network. Image will be preconfigured to take packages from internet
> repositories and if this fails use local mirrors. Also packages from C
> component are configured to have higher priority (as if they are
> apt-pinned)
>
> Is all this achievable (ideally via configuration only, not writing code)?
> Are there more correct/simple ways of doing this?
> Are there any common pitfalls with this approach?

Advice:
* Continue with the good plan. [1]
* When possible ask about single issue. [2]
* https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/armhf/apbs04.html.en#preseed-apt

> Vasily.

Groeten
Geert Stappers

Footnotes:
[1] That is a compliment. It is visible that there was allready done some good research.
[2] It still might need context. So telling about the whole project is good.
    Try to find a balance between a single issue and a complete project.
--
Leven en laten leven