Re: Dropping CDs entirely?! (was: Stretch Alpha 3 images)

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2015-08-30):
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 08:19:21PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2015-08-29):
> >> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2015-08-28):

> >> Hmm, where are the CDs?
> >>
> >> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.stretch_di_alpha3/debian-cd/amd64/iso-cd/
> >> only has debian-stretch-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso
> >>
> >> Ditto for
> >> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.stretch_di_alpha3/debian-cd/i386/iso-cd/
> >> which only has debian-stretch-DI-alpha3-i386-netinst.iso and the mac
> >> variant of it.
> >
> >I really wish I wouldn't have to fish this out of git logs…
>
> Apologies, I've not *yet* announced this on mailing lists etc. but I
> did make a big thing out of this change at DebConf and I'd assumed
> you'd heard about it.

(I know I'm not a regular debian-cd@ contributor, but please allow me to
share my views on this DebConf thing, which are not debian-cd specific.)

While I'm happy that meetings and discussions take place at DebConf, I'm
not comfortable with those being a replacement for discussions on
mailing lists.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to be able to follow all
of those (there are too many tracks, not all of them are recorded, and
many other reasons…), be it on site or by watching the streams / videos
after the facts.

And as far as I'm concerned: I don't know how to make it clear or clearer
that I really would like changes affecting d-i to be discussed or at
least announced on debian-boot@. I've last mentioned it on dda@ less than
10 days before this change…

> If it's a problem for you we can re-add them for now - please let me
> know.

I've seen no answer for the last two questions:
> > Where was the discussion? What's the rationale? Where do we point
> > people to?

I could mention that “it was decided to drop all non-netinst CDs”, but I
wouldn't quite like doing so without having a reference to point people
to. Even commit messages don't explain the reason behind this change.

On a personal level again: I would really prefer understanding this
change and documenting it properly (be it in the d-i release announce,
in installation-guide, on the website -- many links to change! -- etc.),
instead of adding a vague “debian-cd decided so” label onto this change.

What about publishing fixes for stuff broken in Stretch Alpha 2 through
Stretch Alpha 3 (which was my initial plan), and trying to that properly
another time?

Mraw,
KiBi.