Installing u-boot from debian-installer

I've been meaning to work on further integrating u-boot support into
debian-installer, and I see a few different routes forward...

Currently, the thre are installer images available for boot media on
several media, but nothing handles upgrading u-boot after the initial
installation. Also, using debian-installer on armhf boards frequently
get the "continue without bootloader" prompt, which I think it would be
ideal to avoid, and certainly unecessary on some boards.

I think it would be fairly safe for specific boards to automatically
install and upgrade u-boot on the media(perhaps opt-in with debconf
questions), at least for the armhf boards for which debian-installer
currently generates images, and similar boards.

I wouldn't propose this for boards which write to flash or other media
where it's much easier to brick the machine, I only suggest to do this
for boards where it is fairly safe to do.

I'd like to move the gen-hd-image code which is used in debian-installer
to generate boot images into the u-boot-tools package, and refactor it
to allow installing directly to SD cards (without repartitioning). Then,
if the offsets needed to write to media change in u-boot, it can be
updated in the u-boot source package rather than requiring additional
changes to debian-installer and/or flash-kernel.

On the other hand, flash-kernel contains a database of boards and
various configuration options, boot scripts, etc. and I'm not sure how
to avoid duplication of information.

Would it make more sense to keep extending flash-kernel for additional
features (such as installing u-boot and supporting extlinux.conf), or
would it make sense to replace some or all of the functionality of
flash-kernel (at least for newer boards)?

I'm happy to put some time into this, but would like to discuss these
ideas with folks to avoid duplication of effort, stepping on toes,
needlessly rewriting code, etc.

live well,
  vagrant