Re: proofreading the installation-guide

Hi,

Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> wrote:
> Holger Wansing wrote:
> > Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The "&debian-gnu;" entity is effectively just shorthand for "Debian
> >> GNU/&arch-kernel;" - confusing but handy.
>
> Wait, does it expand to Debian or &debian;?

&debian-gnu; -> &debian; GNU/&arch-kernel; -> Debian GNU/Linux | Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

[...]

> >> But there are also special entities for "&enterkey;", "&escapekey;",
> >> "&tabkey;", "&f10key;", and even "&ekey;"!  Most of these are only
> >> used once each - the rest of the time (and always for keys like "F2"
> >> or "space") it just uses "<keycap>...</keycap>".
> >
> > That entities like
> > &releasename-cap;
> > &enterkey;
> > &escapekey;
> > &tabkey;
> > were created, to give translators a chance to follow the rules for their
> > language there (for example, in German we write Jessie, Stretch or Unstable
> > uppercase, while in English that's mostly lowercase: jessie, stretch, unstable)
> > or to have "tab key" translated into "Tabulator-Taste" for German, for
> > example.
>
> Sorry, I don't follow.  Surely German needs *all* instances of
> &releasename; to be capitalised?  How does it help to have some of
> them replaced in the text with &releasename-cap;?

No, not _all_ instances of &releasename; have to be capitalised in German,
for example in URLs they will have to stay lowercase.
But I can use &releasename; or &releasename-cap; in my translation,
where &releasename; is used in English.

> And why is it any easier to provide translations for &tabkey; than for
> <keycode>Tab</keycode>?  Why would you need ones for &f10key; and

This is probably not perfect, maybe it was in the beginning, and then
Frans left us?
I don't know the exact details, so simply my best guess, maybe.
I don't see any benefit on the &f10key; or &ekey;, too.

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.0 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   8 . 0   " J E S S I E " .