Re: util-linux: dropping cfdisk-udeb, switching to ncurses

Hello all.

Now that D-I Stretch Alpha 1 seems to have been released I think it's
time to poke some life into this thread again...

I'd like to upload the util-linux version currently sitting in
experimental to unstable as soon as you find approve.

As a reminder, the original reason for me contacting you is the
dropping of the cfdisk-udeb (since ncursesw5 does not have an udeb
and the ncurses maintainer would like to avoid adding it unless
there is a real need for one).

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 10:25:49AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2015-06-04):
[...]
> > I don't think we use it at all *anyway*...
>
> Having had a quick look, it seems we only depend on fdisk-udeb in some
> components (lilo-installer, rescue-mode).

Even if it's been unused in the past I'd also like to point out that
you should please also look at future possibilities.

The updated version of util-linux now brings significantly improved
*fdisk utilities which should each and all hopefully serve all your
modern partitioning needs. (If not, please speak up about what you're
missing. Preferrably directly on the upstream mailing list.)

(As I understand it you're currently mainly using parted. I'm not
in any position to list pros/cons of parted vs util-linux *fdisk.
I'm just pointing out that past knowledge about *fdisk needs to
be re-evaluated because of the introduction of libfdisk and the
rewrite of *fdisk to all use libfdisk.)

> But I'd feel safer if that udeb drop could be happening after D-I Stretch
> Alpha 1 has been released.

If you at any point in the future see the need for re-adding the
cfdisk-udeb please don't hesitate to raise that request in the future.
The removal is in no way a permanent strategical move. Just the most
convenient and suitable one at the moment to avoid stalling progress.

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson

PS. I'm currently on vacation. Any real action from my side is not very
likely to actually happen until sometime closer to debconf.