Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 04:00:20PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> >     - dnsutils:
> >       bind9-host provides a (limited) DNS query interface. No need to
> >       install both bind9-host and dnsutils by default.
> >       -> demote to "optional"
>
> I'd actually argue for demoting bind9-host and keeping dnsutils, but I
> certainly agree that one suffices.

Why?  nslookup has been deprecated for years in favour of host, and dig
is overkill for most users.  Not having host (which I believe is the
official command for looking up dns info) makes no sense.  I hadn't even
heard of nsupdate before looking what was in dnsutils.

> I've been working on making the MTA optional for several releases,
> slowly getting dependencies dropped or made optional (or packages
> depending on an MTA moved out of standard).  At the moment, the last
> holdout is that cron has no output logging without it.  I supplied a
> patch fixing that, but these days I think the much simpler fix involves
> just feeding the output to either logger or the journal.

Well if cron was to go away by default, then problem solved. :)

--
Len Sorensen