Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

Hi,

On Tue May 05, 2015 at 20:45:09 +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>  * Packages currently at "important":
>     - cron:
>       Not needed in chroot/container environments.
>       -> demote to "standard"

RC.

| important
| Important programs, including those which one would expect to find on
| any Unix-like system. If the expectation is that an experienced Unix
| person who found it missing would say "What on earth is going on, where
| is foo?", it must be an important package.[6] Other packages without
| which the system will not run well or be usable must also have priority
| important. This does not include Emacs, the X Window System, TeX or any
| other large applications. The important packages are just a bare minimum
| of commonly-expected and necessary tools.

cron is part of POSIX.

http://www.unix.com/apropos-man/posix/1/cron/

We had a similar discussion about this recently with the package 'ed',
as there is a bug against 'ed' which wants it back in 'important'
(#776413 and #776557).

So either we fix the policy or cron needs to stay in 'important'.

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster