Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>>     - cron:
>>       Not needed in chroot/container environments.
>>       -> demote to "standard"
>
> A lot of packages ship cron jobs, I guess this means they will need to
> depend on cron?

They already have to depend on cron if it is required for proper
operation (or recommend it). But there are also alternatives like
anacron that might be more appropriate on common systems (say desktop
or laptop systems).

But I admit "cron" was very close on the "maybe only demote in buster"
list.

>>     - w3m:
>>       I think text-mode browsers are not worth including in the default
>>       install. It is *very* rare to not have another computer to use.
>>       Plus in the worst case the package is still just an apt-get away.
>>       -> demote to "optional"
>
> I'd wager most use of w3m is for local-only web resources on servers.

But is this enough reason to keep w3m at priority standard? Personally I
would rather use "ssh -D" or such than bothering with a rather limited
text-mode browser.

Ansgar