Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

On Tuesday, May 05 2015, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

>  * Packages currently at "standard":
>     - aptitude, aptitude-common:
>       There's already apt.
>       -> demote to "optional"
>     - at:
>       Rarely used (IMO).
>       -> demote to "optional"
>     - bc, dc:
>       Rarely used (IMHO).
>       -> demote to "optional"

I don't think it would hurt to leave bc and dc as standard.  I use them
from time to time, and I think it's useful to have them around.  But as
others said, I wouldn't mind having to install them.

>     - info, texinfo, install-info:
>       I admit having used info only in desperation. Most documentation
>       comes in man page format.
>       -> demote to "optional"

Others also have raised this point, but I would like to second: info is
the official documentation format for GNU programs, and if you use
Emacs, you end up using info a lot.  So, if my voice counts (hey, first
message to debian-boot!), I am strongly against moving "info" to
optional.  As for texinfo/install-info, I am OK with the decision.

>     - m4:
>       Rarely used (AFAIK). Well, at least outside of auto* and sendmail.
>       -> demote to "optional"

I believe we're talking about a standard desktop installation here,
right?  If so, then I agree.

>     - w3m:
>       I think text-mode browsers are not worth including in the default
>       install. It is *very* rare to not have another computer to use.
>       Plus in the worst case the package is still just an apt-get away.
>       -> demote to "optional"

As an Emacs user, I consider it would be awesome to still have w3m
installed (I also use it sometimes), but I won't object strongly also
because there is a better alternative nowadays (eww).  :-)

Thanks!

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36