d-i manual: add warning and call for help on outdated translations

Package: installation-guide
Severity: wishlist

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 08:48:47PM +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
> > The situation for the d-i manual is similar: we have some languages,
> > that did not receive no or nearly no translation updates since the
> > release of Wheezy.
> > Should those languages be deactivated?
> > These are:	japanese (no update since 17 months)
> > 		russian (no update since 24 months)
> > 		swedish (no update since 2 years 7 months)
> > 		vietnamese (no update since 2 years 7 months)
> > 		chinese zh_CN (no update since 2 years 3 months)
> > All of them are po-based translations, so the manuals are strictly
> > spoken not outdated (changed paragraphs fall-back to english), but it of
> > no good use for users probably?
>
> Even though the documents are not translated fully some content might still
> be useful.
>
> Also, showing that the translation is not finished, but partial, might
> actually spur some people to take it over.

Good point.

> I think it would be best to keep the languages and try to find a way to
> (automatically) add a disclaimer to the top of the document saying something
> like: "This document is not fully translated and it is not actively being
> updated. If you can help please contact xxxxx"

Yes, good idea.
I will prepare a patch as proposal for that soon.

> When I mean automatically I mean that the text should be added when the PO
> statistics show a large part of the content untranslated.

Hmm, as first variant I will start with a fix setting.
Such automatism is probably out of my skills, we will see.

To track it, I turn this into a bugreport with this mail.

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.2.0 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   7 . 0   W H E E Z Y !