Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:13:50PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>the release date for Jessie is near, but the installation-guide
>does not seem to contain any arm64/ppc64el-specific information
>yet. It would be nice if those who are familiar with those
>platforms could provide patches against the installation guide,
>so that we can release with proper documentation.
>
>At least some basic information about the supported hardware
>for the overview at
>
>https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/installation-guide/installation-guide-arm64/en/ch02s01.html
>https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/installation-guide/installation-guide-ppc64el/en/ch02s01.html

For arm64, we have a generic kernel that (modulo DTB) should work on
all the supportable hardware, similar to i386 and amd64. I'd leave
this section blank for arm64, like for the x86 maybe? Or would people
rather see some text to describe the hardware as a single flavour,
like for the ppc64el case?

>and information about available boot methods at
>
>https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/installation-guide/installation-guide-ppc64el/en/ch05s01.html
>https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/installation-guide/installation-guide-arm64/en/ch05s01.html
>
>would be nice. Currently all documentation in the arm64/ppc64el
>versions of the installation guide describes only the
>corresponding 32bit-Platforms.

Right. This section is definitely going to need work for arm64, to
describe both U-Boot and UEFI boot options across platforms. I'm
looking it now, but it's going to need some time. I'm hoping to be
able to re-use some of the existing content from amd64 and armhf, at
least...

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth