adventures in UEFI & PXE land

Hi all,

I had some adventures in UEFI land. I had an Intel NUC fried during a
lightning storm but the hard drive was fine so I wanted to get the hard
drive to boot within a new NUC. I didn't have any USB stick so I went
with PXE boot from my laptop. The existing system on the hard drive was
wheezy but the installer image I was using was jessie.

Initial attempts at PXE booting in UEFI mode failed, this turned out to
be because I was booting pxelinux.0 instead of bootnetx64.efi.

The installer manual needs to mention bootnetx64.efi in the PXE boot
instructions in relation to UEFI so people know what to boot.

The netboot.tar.gz doesn't have a symlink from bootnetx64.efi in the
top-level directory to debian-installer/amd64/bootnetx64.efi.

When I tried to do a grub reinstall, it failed. I did it manually and
had to mount /boot/efi for it to work. On #debian it was mentioned that
fixmbr needs to be fixed for this.

Intel Visual Boot Manager had a question mark as the Debian icon instead
of the swirl and the name of the OS was "debian" instead of "Debian".

I noticed that debian-installer-7.0-netboot-* packages are still in
jessie even though they are(?) for wheezy.

Any thoughts on what I should do with these observations?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise