Re: Debian install media issue

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 01:44:33PM -0500, rob wrote:
> Please forgive me if this is the incorrect area to forward my concerns to, I've been working on this issue for months and
> been told by many people they weren't the right person to speak to about it. If you know who can process this email, I'd
> appreciate you forwarding it!

Well if you have already been at it for months, I would think the release
of Debian 8 can't be that far away and it would be worth testing if the
installer for it has fixed the problem.

> I'm writing about an issue with the Debian ISO image. On your web page
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/debian-installer/
>
> where we can download the current images, there's some errata at the bottom of the page that reads
>
> "Potential issues with UEFI booting on amd64...There have been some reports of issues booting the Debian Installer in
> UEFI mode on amd64 systems...As a workaround for now, try switching off UEFI and installing using Legacy BIOS or
> Fallback mode instead." Here's the problem: There's no way of switching UEFI boot ON.

Yes if you install in non EFI mode you can't just switch to EFI mode
afterwards.

> There is a desperate need of a 64-bit Wheezy netinst ISO that does not offer standard and EFI boot options, but offers
> EFI boot only, a forced EFI boot. There are many servers that have EFI but the Debian installer does not recognize it.
> Therefore the disc boots normally, creating an image on the hard drive that can never be accessed by the server.

The boot mode in my experience is choces by the system, not the installer.
As long as you boot the installer in EFI mode, it should recognize it.

> Personally, I have a whole room full of servers like this that I can't install Debian on... but have a need to. Can this be a
> soon-to-be future option for Wheezy? It's needed BADLY.

I highly doubt anyone is going to change the wheezy installer at this
point with jessie so close to being released.

--
Len Sorensen