Re: Debian Installer Jessie RC 1 release

Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 10:08 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
[snip]
Where can I find out what -- and --- on the kernel command line
used to do and do now? Within the circles of people I know, there
has been some confusion about -- recently.

Anything after the "--" or "---" on the kernel command line used when
you launch the installer will be propagated into the final installed
systems bootloader config, as well as affecting the installer itself.

So e.g. you would likely want to put d-i specific options, such as
preseeding directives etc,

Does that imply the location of a preseed.cfg could be specified on the command line? [Due to local constraints I wait until vendors are selling DVD sets and then copy DVD1 to a USB stick for installation. Implied question -can the preseed.cfg be on a different partition of the same media as the installer.]

before the "---" and things like console=
after it (assuming you want to use the same console on the installed
system as you install from of course).

The upstream kernel change was to stop parsing the command line at "--",
which broke the behaviour of affecting the installer as well as the
installed system, since it would only affect the installed system.

Ian.