Re: d-i's purpose

During Steve's talk it was mentioned that cloud/VPS installs often don't
use d-i, and that means lots of questions do not get asked and
configuration generated as a result.  Some people would like to still
have that.

This seems like another reason for userland bits of d-i to be able to
run standalone, either on first-boot of a part-installed system, or in a
debootstrapped container (for OpenVZ/LXC/jail-like VPSes).

On 21/08/14 14:00, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> And I've had other d-i issues recently where I thought "d-i is so
> inherentely hard to debug, rebuild, test;  I really wish the whole thing
> could run inside of a chroot/jail/container, or at least the individual
> components run standalone under gdb/ktrace like a normal application,
> and have easy access to fully-featured (not Busybox) utils, make quick
> changes to test, read and save a copy of logs, etc.".

IMHO being able to more easily run some or all of d-i standalone,  would
be a blessing when trying to debug and develop it.

Instead of needing to rebuild udebs, and iso images, need a whole Qemu
VM to boot them, and then have some difficulty interrogating what's
going on inside it with the limited available tools inside.

> "with d-i growing larger and now using a GUI by
> default, hasn't the full Debian Live system become a more practical base
> to install from now?"

It was also mentioned that Debian Live image generation is being
integrated a bit more with regular CD image building (at least, on the
same machine for now).  So we're getting closer to this.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org