Re: the audio group

Op Fri, 15 Aug 2014 21:35:09 +0200 schreef Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 08:59:37PM +0200, Floris wrote:
Dear Debian installation system Maintainers,

I was wondering if a user is still automatically added to the audio group?
Because it will break a systemd-pulseaudio-multiseat setup.

I thought it was still done.

And not doing it seems like it would break all existing setups.

Can you explain what would break? Pulseaudio doesn't need/ works without the audio group.
The pulseaudio mailing list [1] explains:

...ConsoleKit/logind should set audio device
(/dev/snd/*) permissions so that only the "currently active" user has
access to the devices.
I don't know about the current situation, but I believe at least in the
past Debian used to add users automatically to the "audio" group, which
overrides any fancy logic that ConsoleKit/logind tries to implement.
Users in the "audio" group always have access to all devices.

Or is this a feature for Debian Pulseaudio? So when pulseaudio is installed in Debian,
a user is removed from the audio group.

Thanks,

floris

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-August/021189.html