Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 02:03:39AM +0200, Kees de Jong wrote:
> Are we really comparing RAM here as if it were the 90's? How many people
> here use Android? Today it needs 512 MB to function properly. In two years
> that could be 1 or 2 GB and that's a mobile OS. How much RAM does your
> browser use? My Chrome/Firefox easily uses 1 GB. My GNOME 3.10 desktop
> (running Fedora now because I needed a modern GNOME version for Exchange
> support for work) is using about 800 MB to 1200 MB. Do I really care? No,
> because RAM is cheap and I have 8 GB. Do I need to buy more? No, because 8
> GB is still more than enough.

My everyday system has 1 GiB.  Can't even put more than 2 on it if I were to try.
I use XFCE.

The question about the default isn't whether *my* system can run it.
It's whether the novice will get an installed system he cannot use.
At the very least the installer should tell him to select something
small (and tell him what it is) on a small machine, instead  of blindly
installing Gnome.

-- hendrik