Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Lu, 11 aug 14, 19:38:47, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 06:00:05PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I do: I see a reason to netinst a 0.629xCD size desktop install rather
> > than a 0.829xCD size desktop when bandwidth is costly.
>
> Yes, but if you netinst you can *pick* your desktop, it's not like you
> have to pick the default.  Do a minimal install, then use tasksel
> to select XFCE (or just x + a window manager + the application you
> actually need).

Even the netinst has a default. Besides your method below it's also
possible to change it using the boot menu, which many will miss or be
afraid to try (it's under "Advanced options"), so will end up with
whatever Debian chooses as default.

So the default matters also for the netinst, unless it's made easier to
change from the installation process itself.

Probably easiest would be to just get rid of "Mail server", "Web
server", "Print server" (CUPS will get pulled anyway as dependency of
most if not all major DEs), etc. and instead display a list of Desktop
Environments to choose from.

Kind regards,
Andrei