Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 12:47:14PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> I would have thought it better to have a two level structure, where you are
> asked for instance if you want a database, and if you select it you are
> then asked which one (which can have a default for newbies).  Similarly for
> desktop you would be asked XFCE/Gnome/KDE.

You could even ask the user at install time whether he wants
  (a) a small, efficient, usable desktop that takes care of only the
      essentials, or
  (b) a large, full-featured, usable desktop that may take a lot
      of download time and disk space, or even
  (c) (not recommended unless you're a developer and know what this is)
      none of the above, just a bare CLI.

Or at least provide this information in some obvious way so that the
beginner has some idea what he may be getting into; he probably has no
idea what the words "xfce" and "gnome" mean.

-- hendrik