Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Hi dd@.

(M-F-T was set so respecting it; but adding -boot@ anyway.)

Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> (2014-08-07):
> It's been around 9 months since tasksel changed (for real) the default
> desktop for new installs. At the time of the change, it was mentioned
> the issue would be revisited before the freeze, around debconf time.
>
> Well, it's roughly that time. :) So I'd like to plainly request GNOME is
> reinstated as the default desktop environment for a number of reasons.
>
> […]

Many thanks for your thorough input.

For the record I concur with your analysis (be it with my casual DD hat
or with my d-i release guy hat).

On a related note: I've meant to investigate maybe making it easier to
install an alternative desktop (having to think about it at the syslinux
prompt is quite suboptimal to say the least), but I haven't been able to
work on that yet. If such an improvement would come to existence, that
would probably be another obstacle removed from the path of people who
want to install a non-default desktop.

(Right now I have to concentrate on getting regressions fixed to release
a beta 1.)

Mraw,
KiBi.