Re: Proposed changes to installer for armhf

* Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com> [2014-04-19 19:50]:
> I'm a bit worried that this might imply a greater level of support for
> any board with a DTB than we actually offer. Not really sure how to deal
> with that, probably more of a docs issue than anything.

I have two concerns:

1) Like you, I'm not sure whether making all DTBs available is a good
idea when we don't support all devices.  How about only copying the
DTBs for devices that we know are supported by d-i and Debian?

2) I wonder whether providing the kernel as a stand-alone file and the
DTBs as separate files is enough, i.e. can we assume that people are
capable of catting both files together?  Maybe it's better to provide
kernel images with embedded DTB for the devices we support.

Actually, maybe combining the two would be a solution: offering all
DTBs are stand-alone files, and for the devices that are known to be
supported also offer a kernel+DTB file that's easy to download (since
it's a single file).

Maybe this is not needed but at least I thought I'd express my
thoughts.

Another advantage I see with this approach is that if some board
support wants to add a preseed file to set specific values, it would
need a subdirectory anyway; so maybe going with one generic
kernel/ramdisk and then one with each supported device is a good
approach.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/