Re: Proposed changes to installer for armhf

On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 16:13 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com> (2014-04-19):
> > Now that armhf only has a single kernel flavour I think we can simplify
> > the installer setup a bit.
> >
> > Firstly by moving the armmp subarch to the top level and secondly by
> > dropping the version from the kernel filename. Leading to
> >         installer-armhf/201403XX/images/netboot/initrd.gz
> >         installer-armhf/201403XX/images/netboot/vmlinuz
> > rather than
> >         installer-armhf/current/images/armmp/netboot/initrd.gz
> >         installer-armhf/current/images/armmp/netboot/vmlinuz-3.13-1-armmp
> > (similar for netboot-gtk and network-console).
>
> I see no objections in doing so. Worst case, if the need for a new
> subarch arises, we can reintroduce subdirectories…

True.

> I'm not exactly sure how many consumers of these images there are. But I
> guess anybody unhappy about the change can yell at us, so that we know.
> :)

indeed ;-)

> > Since dropping the version suffix requires a kernel udeb change as
> > well I think the best time to make the change would be as kernel 3.14
> > goes into unstable. So I plan to make the kernel change in svn soon
> > unless someone objects and defer the d-i bit until it is uploaded.
>
> Sounds very sensible to me (with s/svn/git/).

The kernel is in svn still, which is what I meant there.

I plan to push:
        armhf: move armmp subarch to the toplevel.
        arm: include dtb files for netboot.
to d-i master shortly (once this quick test install is complete) and at
the same time I'll push:
        armhf: Drop the version from kernel filename.
to pu/armhf pending the switch to 3.14. I'm also going to push the
kernel side change to trunk (current == 3.14) now so the first upload of
3.14 will have the versionless kernel binary in it.

Ian.