Re: Probleme with the firmware-iwlwifi

On Tue, 2014-12-23 at 21:28 +0100, Heiko Ernst wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have test the installer from 22.12.2014. I can not install the Firmware for
> my Laptop. The installer need iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode iwlwifi-1000-4.ucode
> iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode iwlwifi-1000-2.ucode iwlwifi-1000-1.ucode but only the
> iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode is on the firmware-iwlwifi 0.43 and it works only with
> iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode. It don ned the other firmware files on my installed
> system. Can you help me why this is?

Each of those filenames is used for a particular firmware API version
(*not* an exact version of the firmware).  The driver requests the
filename corresponding to the newest firmware API version it supports
(iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode in this case), and if that fails then it will
request older versions.

The installer tries to work out what files are missing by looking for
error messages about missing files, and as the driver requests all those
files it will list all the files.  But really you only need one of them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If more than one person is responsible for a bug, no one is at fault.