Re: auto installation with url=file:///hd-media/d-i/

Florian Lohoff <f@zz.de> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 02:48:10PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Florian Lohoff <f@zz.de> (2014-10-28):
>> > i'd like to have a USB stick with complete auto installation for this i put
>> > my preseed/late_script onto the usb stick - Now the d-i doesnt recognize
>> > the url=file:///hd-media instead it tries to extend the url with the
>> > domain from network autoconfiguration.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to use preseeding from the usb stick?
>>
>> That's covered by the installation guide:
>>   https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/apbs02.html.en
>
> After trying around what d-i expects to be in the URL i got it
> to work.
>
> 	url=file:///hd-media/d-i/jessie/./preseed.cfg
>
> Its a bit counterintuitive that with a http url the code
> automatically prepends with /d-i/<suite>/ which it does
> not with a file:// url.

Well, that's my fault, probably.

The code (IIRC) checks if there are fewer than 3 /'s and if so adds the
default path.

Of course, with file:/// urls, you've got 3 straight away.

Perhaps the check for file URLs should instead say:

  add the default path iff the url matches  ^file:///.*/$

Can anyone think of circumstances where a file:/// URL pointing at a
directory, rather than a file, would be a valid thing to do?

I guess that we could also adopt the same approach for other protocols,
but I avoided that at the time because I thought that someone might like
to have preseed files generated on the fly, on a per client basis, by
specifying something like: url=http://our.magic.presseds.local/

Cheers, Phil.