Re: Debian 7 with i486 non pae

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 03:33 +0000, Mauricio Aued wrote:
> Hello, is it possible to install debian 7 with kernel i486 from the
> debian-7.6.0-i386-netinst disk?
>

> I have a old machine, a P3 Coppermine 600 MH, 512 M ram, 40 G hd.
>

> I can install CrunchBang 10, but if I try to install Debian 6 or 7, it
> loads, but when the installation begins then freezes.
>

> I'am a normal user,

The installer for i386 currently runs on the 486 kernel, not the 686 or
686-pae kernel.

(By default it will install a 686-pae kernel on a system with a Pentium
3, as this processor does support PAE.  If you choose expert mode then
you can override this.)

The problem you're seeing seems likely to be a driver issue and not
related to use of PAE.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Theory and practice are closer in theory than in practice.