Re: preseeding choice of init system? - followup info

Since I asked the question, I figure I should follow up with what I found out....

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> (2014-10-16):
1. Where in the installer code does the init system get installed
into the target build?

As far as I can tell, from somewhat out-of-date documentation
(http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/internals/ - last updated 2010):

  - the installer runs the base-installer package, which uses
debootstrap, to install the base system - including the init system
- before the tasksel phase, or installation of additional packages.

- In turn, this process uses the hard-coded package priorities, in
the repository, to determine which init system to install (which,
for jessie, are set to favor systemd)

Is this correct?  If not, where does the init system get selected
and installed?
Yes.

2.  Assuming the above is correct, is there any way to preseed an
alternate choice?

- so far, I haven't been able to find any such command that could be
put into a preseed file
Not sure pkgsel/include will help since some packages will need a
removal.

preseed/late_command is a generic thing that should work.

KiBi.

Received this info from another source:
- looks like it's debootstrap that installs the init system
- it might be possible to preseed things with a combination of:

base-installer/includes
and/or
base-installer/excludes

So, in theory, it looks like there IS a way to preseed things during the early install process - but....

- bug #668001 in debootstrap (open since 2012) seems to get in the way

Miles Fidelman