Bug#756275: marked as done (debian-installer: [PATCH] Fix lib location and search path for syslinux >= 5)
Your message dated Thu, 02 Oct 2014 06:48:36 +0000
with message-id <E1XZaBo-0001hj-R3@franck.debian.org>
and subject line Bug#756275: fixed in debian-installer 20141002
has caused the Debian Bug report #756275,
regarding debian-installer: [PATCH] Fix lib location and search path for syslinux >= 5
to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact email@example.com
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with problems
--- Begin Message ---
- To: Debian Bug Tracking System <email@example.com>
- Subject: debian-installer: [PATCH] Fix lib location and search path for syslinux >= 5
- From: Ron <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:30:29 +0930
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
As discussed on #-boot, here's a minimal patch to fix pxeboot with the
current daily images.
This patch possibly also means you can close #750586 and several of
the other bugs referenced there, but my secret decoder ring broke
trying to figure out what his real problem(s) were, so I've kept
this separate to that.
And this bug is unversioned, since it only effects the daily snapshots
after the syslinux update, and the last tagged release was before that.
On a slight tangent to this:
I do wonder a little if we ought to rearrange the netboot.tar tree a
bit in the light of this change, since we basically have 3 things there
with varying degrees of interdependence between both themselves and
alternative images that people might want to boot from the same tftpd.
- pxelinux.0 (and its associated .c32 binaries)
Since the commonly used way to boot multiple images is to share
this between all of them and then use a custom top level menu to
select the actual tree to boot from, but the .c32 binaries that
we embed in $arch/boot-screens aren't compatible with different
syslinux versions of pxelinux.0.
So possibly we should pull all the .c32 files out of boot-screens
(and possibly out of $arch too, since they are now all 32-bit ELF
executables even for amd64), and put them in their own tree where
they can easily be shared and be from the same syslinux version.
- the menu .cfg files
Which should always be compatible with newer versions of vesamenu.c32
and really only change when different options are added. They only
depend on a particular kernel and initrd to the extent of:
- the path they expect to find them at
- the options they append for the installer in the initrd.
In theory, some of these at least could be arch independent, since
it's only the hardcoded paths to the kernel images that make them
not so, and the options they append which may make them release
So possibly these should be split between 'release' and 'arch'
dirs (unless there's some way to make $arch a runtime variable
in which case they may could all be just release dependent.
- the kernel and initrd images
Which are obviously arch dependent, but could be updated
independently of the menu files for point releases etc.
Anyhow, the above is really a separate 'bug', if it's a bug at all,
but I figured I'd mention it here since it is relevant in the context
of the incompatible change to syslinux which this bug is about. I'll
leave it to you guys to decide whether it should be cloned as such,
taken to the list for Further Discussion, or /dev/null'd as SEP :)
>From f3da11a7063ebc4719e5c2b829ac04dc10fb147f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Ron <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:29:45 +0930
Subject: [PATCH] Fix lib location and search path for syslinux >= 5
The changes in b03b133efece84a1f81e41385200ef26e8287cfd were not
sufficient for pxelinux in the netboot tarball to actually boot.
The ldlinux.c32 loader must be located in the tftp root, and the
other new support libraries (libcom32 and libutil) must either be
located there too or have a PATH set to where they can be found.
build/boot/x86/syslinux.cfg | 2 ++
build/config/x86.cfg | 3 +++
2 files changed, 5 insertions(+)
diff --git a/build/boot/x86/syslinux.cfg b/build/boot/x86/syslinux.cfg
index 21dc753..7b2a1ce 100644
@@ -1,4 +1,6 @@
# D-I config version 2.0
+# search path for the c32 support libraries (libcom32, libutil etc.)
diff --git a/build/config/x86.cfg b/build/config/x86.cfg
index 456314f..07f99b8 100644
@@ -391,6 +391,9 @@ arch_netboot_dir: x86_syslinux
# dhcp server setups to work without modification.
rm -f $(TEMP_NETBOOT_DIR)/pxelinux.0
ln -sf $(NETBOOT_PATH)/pxelinux.0 $(TEMP_NETBOOT_DIR)/pxelinux.0
+ # This link is required because pxelinux only looks in the tftp root
+ # for this library (it does a PATH search for any others).
+ ln -sf $(NETBOOT_PATH)/$(BOOT_SCREEN_DIR)/ldlinux.c32 $(TEMP_NETBOOT_DIR)/ldlinux.c32
set -e; \
$(foreach file,$(wildcard $(TEMP_BOOT_SCREENS)/*.txt), \
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Bug#756275: fixed in debian-installer 20141002
- From: Cyril Brulebois <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 06:48:36 +0000
- Message-id: <E1XZaBo-0001hj-R3@franck.debian.org>
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
debian-installer, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Cyril Brulebois <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated debian-installer package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 08:21:25 +0200
Maintainer: Debian Install System Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Cyril Brulebois <email@example.com>
debian-installer - Debian installer
Closes: 751731 754093 756275 758581 759686 761573 762614
debian-installer (20141002) unstable; urgency=low
[ Samuel Thibault ]
* Add speech synthesis entries in alternate desktop boot menus.
* Add keyboard shortcut for Advanced options menu.
[ Ian Campbell ]
* Depend on mklibs >= 0.1.40 for ARM EABI fixes relating to the handling
of__aeabi_* symbols (Closes: #758581).
* Switch to installing Jessie by default on ARM64.
* Build netboot mini.iso on ARM64.
* Build cdrom flavour for ARM64.
[ Cyril Brulebois ]
* Deal with even more incompatible changes on the syslinux side by
adding a syslinux-utils build-dep (Closes: #751731), no thanks to its
maintainer as far as cooperation is concerned (See: #751724, #759189).
* Bump linux kernel version from 3.14-2 to 3.16-2.
* Drop code snippet meant to ensure every checkout would get an updated
sources.list.udeb (with [trusted=yes]), since that was meant to be
temporary, and that was almost 2 years ago.
* Replace ttf-kannada-fonts-udeb with fonts-knda-udeb.
* Specify -j1 for the submake definition in build/Makefile; that's what
happens anyway, and warnings go away accordingly.
* Add fonts-lohit-guru-udeb to gtk images, fixing rendering for Punjabi
* Apply patch from Ron and Chris Kuehl to fix lib location and search
path for syslinux >= 5. Some constraints include having ldlinux.c32
in the tftp root, and being able to find some support libraries
thanks to a defined path (Closes: #756275). Many thanks!
* Update translation-status for the release.
[ Frederic Bonnard / Aurelien Jarno ]
* Add ppc64el support installing sid (Closes: #754093).
[ Steven Chamberlain ]
* On kfreebsd and hurd, which use GRUB for PXE booting, request two
additional modules in the grub-mkimage step: (Closes: #759686)
- tftp: required since GRUB 2.02 otherwise PXE boot will crash/hang
- gfxterm_background: required since GRUB 2.02 for the boot splash
image functionality to be available
- raise the grub-pc (and indirectly grub-common) build dependency to
>= 2.02~beta2~ on these architectures, because module
gfxterm_background did not exist in GRUB 2.00
- raise the xorriso build dependency to >= 1.3.2-1~ on these
architectures, for compatibility with grub-mkrescue in GRUB 2.02
[ Joey Hess ]
* Remove desktop selection from syslinux; now available in tasksel.
* remove desktop=xfce preseeding on kfreebsd-* and hurd, since tasksel
3.27 knows about architecture-specific defaults (Closes: #762614).
[ Ben Hutchings ]
* Keep Linux modules.builtin file in the initrd.
* Update new-kernel-checklist.txt for the last few years' changes.
bd95e4cbe2a01330933cf8ca17cd5a3f7200a560 3430 debian-installer_20141002.dsc
2624d995c68e576f4343a6f2532a3748cefef104 1352320 debian-installer_20141002.tar.gz
88b6cbf4219ba31d68187ede848bcb11e5abf84ba4e3e4fbf032ab91fee9e9fd 3430 debian-installer_20141002.dsc
869a9296f91882d055d74d161829ca3d3ff704ac74f1174167c84a18235453a4 1352320 debian-installer_20141002.tar.gz
fc71bc246d80f6564e270281150fcbd7 3430 devel optional debian-installer_20141002.dsc
64b585cbba790e8adb1f91e265fa5f98 1352320 devel optional debian-installer_20141002.tar.gz
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--- End Message ---