Re: Jessie Alpha 1 in Punjabi

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2014-09-13):
> If you switch to a console after having selected Punjabi, and try:
>   grep -i font /var/log/syslog
>
> you'll see two lines, the default one, then the updated one:
>   [timestamp] gtk-set-font: Switching to font 'DejaVu Sans' for 'en'
>   [timestamp] gtk-set-font: Switching to font 'DejaVu Sans' for 'pa'
>
> Unfortunately I cannot tell that the rendering is broken. I'll try to
> modify an image locally and see whether I can post some screenshots
> with Lohit fonts, so that you tell me if that's better.

Here's what I've done:
 - patched fonts-lohit-guru locally to build a udeb;
 - patched rootskel-gtk to teach gtk-set-font about the pa = "Lohit
   Punjabi" mapping;
 - patched debian-installer to include the new udeb in its gtk build
   (and the modified rootskel-gtk one, of course).

The resulting netboot-gtk mini.iso for amd64 has been (detach-)signed and
uploaded to people.debian.org; you'll find a screenshot with both DejaVu
and with Lohit Punjabi in the same directory. I see rendering is
slightly different but I cannot tell if that's the expected one. Please
tell us!

  https://people.debian.org/~kibi/di-punjabi/mini.iso           [installation image]
  https://people.debian.org/~kibi/di-punjabi/mini.iso.asc       [gpg signature]
  https://people.debian.org/~kibi/di-punjabi/punjabi-dejavu.png [initial setup]