Re: More tasks option in Tasksel: what tasks do you want there?

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 01:46:08PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > It should likely be raised to priority=standard, which would make it part of
> > the "standard system utilities" task. smartctl is relatively important for
> > problem diagnosis with disk drives.
> I don't think it is necessary everywhere:
>
> Various devices only have flash storage or storage that doesn't support SMART.

That is not the standard we historically applied to priority=standard.

> On desktop installs, udisks/udisks2 and the corresponding GUI parts
> are more useful to the relevant persons.

udisksctl does not let you initiate a SMART self-test AFAICS even though the
DBus interface offers it.

I guess I would want to see it installed on all non-chroot installs, hence
maybe hw-detect makes more sense. If there's a SCSI/ATA disk drive, install
smartmontools.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern