Re: Use dedicated partition for /boot/grub instead of /boot

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 00:40 -0500, Christopher Chavez wrote:
> (Please let me know if there's a better venue for collecting feedback for this
> idea, or additional ones I should solicit feedback from. I primarily use Ubuntu,
> but I assume this is as upstream as it gets.)
>
> Background:
>
> It has been discussed (in other venues) where a separate /boot partition (e.g.
> for btrfs, LVM, and encrypted installations; or to workaround BIOS limitations),
> depending on how large it was when created, will have a likelihood of becoming
> full after multiple kernel updates, and there are corresponding bug reports
> likewise (which I have not listed here).

Old kernel packages are now auto-removable in Debian and Ubuntu.  So
this should not be a common problem in future.

> One proposed measure was to not use a /boot partition in the first place, which
> often works, but I have also managed to have installations fail with "core.img
> is unusually large", particularly in instances where the disk was pre-formatted,
> including Windows multiboot scenarios.

This should no longer be a problem since the switch to UEFI.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Is it the case that the only reason for having a separate /boot was to
> provide easy access /boot/grub? I.e., was it intentional to provide easy access
> to kernels as well?

No, your own background text explains why it might not be possible to
load a kernel or initramfs from the root filesystem.  Also, we support
many more boot loaders than GRUB, with different limitations.

> 2. Would it be a better idea to only have /boot/grub, instead of /boot, on a
> separate partition? (I can confirm that it works both when installing and in
> existing setups, i.e. grub-install and update-grub both work as expected.)
[...]

I don't think so.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.