Re: the audio group

Op Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:07:02 +0200 schreef Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:54:17PM +0200, Floris wrote:
Can you explain what would break? Pulseaudio doesn't need/ works
without the audio group.
The pulseaudio mailing list [1] explains:

I tend to have to kill pulseaudio to get sound working.

If my user isn't in the audio group, how do my programs access the
audio device?

The right permissions are set by logind through modifying the ACL.

$ getfacl /dev/snd/controlC3
# file: dev/snd/controlC3
# owner: root
# group: audio
user::rw-
user:floris:rw-   # This line makes sure I can access the device.
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

So the user is able to control the device.

floris