Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Quoting David Weinehall (2014-08-10 22:59:45)
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:10:50AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>> The issue here really is "how big is it?" rather than "hos many disks
>> [of which kind] does it fit onto?".
>>
>> "unable to fit on a single image" is not only about use of said
>> storage devices for installation, but also an indication more
>> generally of how much data needs to be transfered on average for a
>> usable installation.
>>
>> Quite a few places in the World have poor and/or expensive internet
>> access.  Larger default desktop will hurt the most in developing
>> countries: non-techies gets discourages to use Debian at all, or when
>> using it may apply security fixes less often.
>
> In all cases where I'm stuck with expensive (and/or slow) Internet I
> sure as hell pick the netinst image and download the minimum set of
> packages I need, rather than a whole CD image on the offhand chance
> that I might need everything on it (which is exceedingly unlikely).

[remark about actual CD use rather than desktop size measure snipped]

> So, as long as GNOME fits on the first installation CD I see no reason
> not to prefer it over XFCE.

I do: I see a reason to netinst a 0.629xCD size desktop install rather
than a 0.829xCD size desktop when bandwidth is costly.

(numbers above are made up - just to illustrate that I am talking about
the size of the desktops, not actual concrete CDs or DVDs or Blueray
disks.

 - Jonas