Re: Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i

On Sat, 2014-05-10 at 18:46 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:20:33PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 21:24 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > > So this means that on an armhf system set up by d-i, the symlinks
> > > are actually in place where we need them for the boot scripts.  I
> > > am very short on time at the moment, so I can't work on the
> > > topic now, but I'll look into it again some time later this week.
> >
> > It was mostly a case of cherry picking the bits of your patch which were
> > still needed and since I had a few spare moments this evening it took a
> > stab at it (I hope that's ok), the result is attached.
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Of course!
>
> > Works for me on a DI installed system with 3.14-1-armmp built from SVN.
> > My u-boot bootcmd is:
> >         scsi scan;setenv device scsi;setenv partition 0;load ${device}
> >         ${partition} ${scriptaddr} boot.scr;source ${scriptaddr}
>
> I have run a few tests with your patchset and everything looks ok
> as far as I can tell. Attached is a tiny additional patch to the
> manpage to document the new "--force" option.

I've applied this, added debian/changelog entries as necessary and
pushed the whole lot to flash-kernel.git.

I also added a second doc commit with:
+Note that when the \-\-force the kernel can be overwritten with the current
+version whenever a package is installed which changes the kernel, initramfs
+etc. Therefore this is only really useful for one-off testing.
+.P
since it might be a bit surprising the --force is undone by e.g.
installing/upgrading a package which supplies an mkinitramfs hook

I deliberately haven't uploaded yet due to the .isinstallable issue you
mention below. Unless anyone thinks it is worth having this now? Maybe
an upload to experimental is in order?

Ian.