Re: Reflecting on users and security updates

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> (2014-05-09):
> On 05/09/2014 16:15, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> > == sources.list
> >
> > Many users of stable releases don't have security.debian.org in the
> > sources.list. I can only wildly speculate as to how this happens... if the
> > installer doesn't find a network connection at install time it leaves a pretty
> > weird looking sources.list and we know lots of people manage to not fix
> > properly. The sources.list that the installer leaves in this case is certainly
> > sub-optimal.

(Contacting -boot@ for installer-related questions might be a good idea,
doing so.)

> What do they end with in sources.list? It would probably be nice if
> there were entries like
>
>   # deb http://http.debian.org/debian wheezy main
>   # deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security wheezy/updates main
>
> (with comments) in case no network mirror is added by the installer.
> Maybe with a comment asking to enable *both* if network is accessible.

Anyway, you may want to look at these generators:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/apt-setup.git;a=blob;f=generators/91security;h=351e1ac16e0649a1d20171335c6deaf936e02aef;hb=HEAD
  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/apt-setup.git;a=blob;f=generators/92updates;h=d68ca89fe2021669db2f6e7ef008f226924280f9;hb=HEAD
  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/apt-setup.git;a=blob;f=generators/93backports;h=1021d5f09b18e2109c71c2f4dd3dcbd48fdb71a8;hb=HEAD

Some bits of factorization might be useful (esp. to get commented lines
generated in the security case).

Mraw,
KiBi.