Re: How to get installer to align partitions on 4096 byte boundaries?

On May 4, 2014, at 1:14 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2014, at 2:54 AM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sb, 26 apr 14, 20:24:12, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> With more and more disks being manufactured with "Advanced format"
>>> (4096-byte physical-sectors) I'm wondering how I can tell the
>>> Debian-installer partitioner to align all partitions on 4096-byte (or
>>> 1 MiB for FLASH) boundaries?  Is there some parameter I can pre-seed
>>> -- or set at runtime?
>>
>> The wheezy installer (at least) aligns by default to 1MiB.

I've tried both Wheezy (7.5) and the latest Jessie PowerPC64 installers.  Neither one aligns to 1MiB.

Previously in this thread I gave my analysis of the partition map from the Wheezy install.  I just tried a Jessie install and got the identical same partition map.

Bottom line: It doesn't align to 1MiB boundaries. It doesn't even align to 4KiB boundaries.

I think we can do better than that!

Next step is to try it on a i386 machine.

Thanks!

Rick