Re: How to get installer to align partitions on 4096 byte boundaries?

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

On May 4, 2014, at 1:24 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> So I ask again: Aside from doing the partitioning manually, myself, is there any way to get the installer's partitioner to respect the new guidelines for "Advanced Format" and SSD/flash disks?
>>
> Have you tried not using a Macintosh partition map -- using a DOS/BIOS partition map instead? Then you should be able to use the more normal partitioning tools.
>
> Or, kind of the reverse, have you tried partitioning it with the Mac OS installer's disk utility? Or pdisk?

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I don't think they would work...

It's the boot disk for a Mac. It *has* to have a Macintosh partition map.  A DOS partition map would not be understood by the Mac firmware,

It's been a while since I had time to mess with ppc. (Not enough working displays in the house, and dyndns is no longer free, so the old ppc mini is sleeping right now.) But my memory is that you can, in fact, use DOS partition formats on some of the ppc hardware produced towards the end-of-line period. If that's something you want to think about.

Really wish Jobs had been more willing to try carrying the PPC line in parallel with the intel line. I'm sure his plans to switch again to ARM had something to do with things, ...

And anyway, the object of the exercise is to use the default installer for PowerPC Macs, not to force it manually, as would be the case with your second suggestion.

To what purpose?

Anyway, you do know about the manual options.

One more thought, it was not so long ago that the entire idea of trying to fight with a hard disks internal idea of the physical layout of the partitions was considered counterproductive. Are you then, primarily, focused on less-intelligent controllers for bulk flash persistent store? If so, I'm thinking that we need a feature request for the partitioning tools.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.