Re: Captive laptop

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 07:41:39AM -0700, R Edwards wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a persistent problem and I was hoping that the Debian install discs would solve it.  I have a new laptop with Windows 8 on it (was purchased for the hardware) and Windows is holding it prisoner.  I am unable to install any other Operating system on it whatsoever including Debian 7.4 that I downloaded from this site.  It will not allow the 'test' with no files installed or the full installation. I am not exactly a computer newbie but have only 'new' level of linux background.  I have tried six different OS packages from two or three different devices for installs and all have failed.  Windows 8 will not let any install.  Any chance you have an ISO that will produce a dvd disc that can be bootable from a bare harddrive.  The 7.4 version I downloaded gets an 'invalid media' message and I have tried more than one copy/download/version with the same results.  In the attempt to run from dvd without installing files, get a 'try compatibility settings' message that always fails.  I am apparently not the only one with this problem.  Please help.  I NEED my computer without the Windows garbage taking control of it.  I am even willing to pay for a 'guaranteed' installation disc but I try it before I pay as I feel Windows will defeat all comers at this point.  Looking forward to being proved wrong!  When I bought the laptop, I never dreamed that it would take months to attempt to get Windows off of it and still be failing.  I feel like billing Microsoft for taking my laptop prisoner but that would get me as far as this installation is getting....nowhere.

If you download the installer (say DVD-1 iso or netinstall iso) and then
burn it as an image to the DVD:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-from-an-iso-file

So windows can do that apparently.

It should then be bootable, but of course you have to tell the
BIOS/EFI/whatever you have, to boot from the DVD drive.

--
Len Sorensen