Re: init-select

Hi Michael,

Le vendredi, 3 janvier 2014, 12.00:27 Michael Gilbert a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >> Anyway, not going to play on words because there are so many
> >> efforts
> >> wasted with this topic already. Again, my position on the topic:
> >> "No, this doesn't belong to the installer".
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to think about it.  I very much respect
> > your opinion.
> I should clarify.  I very much respect your opinion, but I do
> disagree, so it would be nice to hear thoughts from other d-i people
> than outright abandoning the idea.

For what is worth (as I've only been marginally involved with d-i-n-i
and win32-loader), I also totally disagree that this fits within the
installer team umbrella. It's not something that is needed for (or
wanted by) the Debian installer at all.

Also, I concur very Cyril here: we all need to wait (patiently,
arguably) until the TC decides which init Debian will use as default .
>From there on (unless challenged by a GR of course), it is my opinion
that we need to stand behind the decision.

I think people should also stop building on the fallacy that supporting
multiple init systems permanently on Linux is anywhere close to a good
idea. Let's spare our energies and make Debian work as best as possible
with one single init system that the TC (and/or the developers' body)
will have chosen.

Cheers, OdyX