Re: init-select

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Even if what's happening on tech-ctte isn't exactly ideal, I don't think
> letting users choose their init system is a service to them. Editing a
> kernel command line is enough for those who want to play. Others don't
> need to bother.

So, I suppose this isn't immediately obvious, but there is another
solved problem here.

Say the TC ultimately does not choose systemd as the default, and one
day gnome entirely drops compatibility with the other inits.  The
gnome maintainers can take advantage of init-select to automatically
move their users from whatever that default is to systemd.

That is simply

  # init-select /bin/systemd
  # update-grub

somewhere appropriate in their maintainer scripts.

Best wishes,
Mike