Re: Installer doesn't seem to allow partitioning of /dev/mdX

On 11/10/2013 11:11, Brian Candler wrote:

Has this been discussed before? Is partitioning of md devices intentionally blocked in the installer?

Digging around, it looks like I hit bug #699431 - and presumably the patch didn't make it into Wheezy. Never mind.

So I attempted my workaround of making two IMSM volumes:
BOOT: 4GB
LVM: rest of disk (the BIOS only let me create two volumes within the container)

This worked fine initially - the volumes came up as /dev/md126 and /dev/md125 respectively - until the point that it tried to install grub to /dev/sda. Then it failed :-(

   Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed
This is a fatal error

I retried with grub to /dev/md126; LILO to /dev/md126 (the choice it offered); and LILO to /dev/sda (using the 'advanced' option). All of these failed with pretty much the same content-free error message. In the case of LILO it was two screens:

The lilo packages failed to install into /target/. Installing LILO as a boot loader is a required step. The install problem might however be unreleated to LILO, so continuing the
installation may be possible.
LILO installation failed. Continue anyway?

<then>

   LILO installation failed
Running "/sbin/lilo" failed with error code "1".

If I select "continue without bootloader" then I get:

No boot loader installed
You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition
/dev/mapper/vg-root and root=/dev/mapper/vg-root quiet passed as a kernel argument.

This appears to be bug #699434.

So looks like it's back to separate partitions for boot and LVM, individually mirrored using mdadm :-(

Regards,

Brian.