Move desktop type selection from kernel parameter to debconf question?

At the moment one can choose which of kde, gnome, lxde,xfce (and
others?)  should be installed using the desktop= kernel option to d-i,
or by preseeding the tasksel/desktop debconf value.

But I've seen requests for a normal debconf question instead, and
implemented a new udeb this evening to allow this to happen.  It is in
the d-i git repository,

The template text need more work, and I suspect it should have more
flexibility for controlling the desktop choice (like which default to
show, etc), and know it need more work to make sure it show up in the
right menu position, but it is a rough draft to show how I believe it
can be done.

Comments?  Something for Jessie?

--
Happy hacking