Re: Bug report on cdebconf: dpkg-preconfigure crashes with exit status 139

Alexandre Rebert wrote:
> We found a crash in dpkg-preconfigure contained in the cdebconf package. You are being
> contacted because your are listed as one of the maintainer of cdebconf.
>
> We are planning to submit the bug to the Debian bug tracking system in two
> weeks. We wanted to give you a heads-up, so that you some time to assess the
> seriousness of the bug before it is publicly disclosed.

Well, this is a public mailing list. :)

However, this is not an exploitable security hole. It relies on running
dpkg-preconfigure with an empty (or mostly empty) environment.
dpkg-preconfigure is only run by root on trusted packages.

Here's a more minimal version:

env -i  /usr/lib/cdebconf/dpkg-preconfigure 1

I don't have time to investigate the code, but it's probably expecting
something in environ that's cleared.

--
see shy jo