Re: task-desktop: default desktop environment for Jessie

Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> (31/05/2013):
>>> It would probably be good to get that discussion started early during
>>> this cycle to reduce the surprise factor.
>>>
>>> Since it was rather difficult to fit gnome onto 1 cd in wheezy (and I
>>> think some pieces were left off anyway), I think it makes sense now to
>>> start moving toward something like xfce as the default that's small,
>>> and mostly capable, and 4.10 (now making its way into unstable) brings
>>> much needed accessibility features.
>>
>> A somewhat related question is whether we're going to keep trying to
>> fit stuff onto CD#1, as opposed to moving to supporting various “USB
>> key sizes”. If I'm not mistaken, Steve has expressed such a wish (or
>> intent) during the last wheezy preparation steps.
>
> As a point of reference, I still have (and use every now and then) an
> old laptop that has a cd-rom but no dvd-rom, and its bios does not
> support usb booting.

You could still use the netinst image on this machine. There is
currently no danger that it's content won't fit onto a CD-ROM and AFAIK
there is no intention to drop this image.

It needs a working network connection to install a full desktop though,
but IMO this acceptable for these rare cases.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.