Re: rfc: growlight as d-i partman replacement

Quoting nick black (nick.black@sprezzatech.com):
> Hello!
>
> Last summer, I was hoping to add ZFS support to the Debian installer. After
> playing around with partman a week or two, I ended up developing an entirely
> new application, growlight [0]. It is currently used in the SprezzOS
> installer [1], and has been used by a small, ZoL-intensive user base for
> several months (since ZoL 0.6.0-rc11 days). It has had open bugtracking [2]
> and git-based source control [3] since its first commit.

.../...

I'd like to followup on your suggestion as it seems well thought and
prepared and not just one idea thrown in the wild as I was initially
thinking (sorry for this).

It would thus be a shame that you don't get any followup, whic hwould
be likely to happen.

You have well identified the difficulty in abandoning partman. The
main "problem" is probably that partman is well modular and makes it
"easy" to throw in some new fliesystem support (it seems this is not
as easy as it seems, though, as you ended up in developing something
else for ZFS support).

It is quite easy, though to push for your proposal : develop growlight
and the udebs it produces in the D-I infrastructure, eventually
provide D-I images that use it instead of partman....and we'll see if
people adhere to it. After all, the modular structure of  D-I makes it
easy to replace one component by another.

However, given that most of what remains of the D-I team is now
focused on the wheezy release, it is likely that you do'nt get much
feedback in the beginning.

But, eh, this is about all what we have to propose, I guess..:-)