Re: install/run problems with Debian 7.1.0

Thanks for your thoughts. My video card is a  VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] and I would be happy with a generic SVGA or framebuffer driver. I'm not a video gamer and high performance on my old system is oxymoronic. I wouldn't want to fry the video. I fried a USB port running a chess program on a thumb drive to spare the disk a lot of hashfile reads and writes. I don't wish to discover similar hardware weakness in my video. Yes, I should upgrade.
John

On Mon, 11/25/13, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: install/run problems with Debian 7.1.0
 To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
 Cc: "John" <allltaken@yahoo.com>
 Date: Monday, November 25, 2013, 4:54 PM

 (Adding submitter back into cc.)

 Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
 (2013-11-25):
 > Let me try to translate the complaint into your
 terminology.

 > I think he's complaining that the installer gets X
 configuration right
 > for its own use, but wrong for the installed system,
 where apparently X
 > gets it wrong,
 >
 > There's some plausibility to the claim that the
 installed system
 > *should* be able to get things as right as the
 installer.
 > Maybe this isn't as much an installer problem than an
 installed systen
 > problemm.  Presumably whatever code the installer
 uses at install
 > time should also be part of X, or whatever setup
 happens at boot
 > time.
 >
 > It' a bit ironic that the complaint should be against
 the piece of code
 > that actually does get it right, but I guess that's
 life.

 d-i uses fbdev (on linux, vesa on kfreebsd), which is
 generic but not
 efficient at all. The same could be used in the installed
 system, but X
 uses whatever is more suitable (usually: intel, radeon, or
 nouveau). They
 tend to do a lot more things, to have a huge codebase, and
 to have bugs
 (and/or trigger kernel-side bugs).

 Get a bug reported there, done:
   http://x.debian.net/howto/report-bugs.html