Re: install/run problems with Debian 7.1.0

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:34:08AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:29:35PM -0800, John wrote:
>
> > PROBLEM 2: Your hardware setup is generally very good, but recent changes in video detection and setup by Linux developers mess up in handling older video cards/chips and monitors. As a result, Debian 7.1.0 has a correct-resolution correct-refresh setup for my monitor for installation, but sets my video improperly for regular use. I think the video refresh is set too high. It produces some "snow" on my CRT monitor and just doesn't look right, and there doesn't seem to be any graphic tool in Gnome 3 to change these settings. Some code in the installation to let the user select the desired screen video settings would be nice. If that isn't available, upgrading to Debian 7 isn't such a good idea. You can do the right video settings---the installation display proves it. Just leave it as is if it's satisfactory.
>
> X setup is pretty much automatic these days and doesn't even need a
> config file anymore unless you want to override what X does automatically.
> Not an installer issue anyhow, since that is managed by X.

Let me try to translate the complaint into your terminology.

I think he's complaining that the installer gets X configuration right
for its own use, but wrong for the installed system, where apparently X
gets it wrong,

There's some plausibility to the claim that the installed system
*should* be able to get things as right as the installer.
Maybe this isn't as much an installer problem than an installed systen
problemm.  Presumably whatever code the installer uses at install
time should also be part of X, or whatever setup happens at boot
time.

It' a bit ironic that the complaint should be against the piece of code
that actually does get it right, but I guess that's life.

-- hendrik