Re: RFC: removing Mirrors.masterlist from .gitignore in choose-mirror

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> (2013-10-12):
> Have you ever looked at the debian-installer source package's network
> use? I'm just saying.

Fetching packages from the same mirror isn't exactly the same as wgetting a
file from an http location without any kind of verification. I'm just saying.

src:debian-installer's being "strange" doesn't look like a reason for
others to do strange things on their own, at least to me.

> If I were throwing arbitrary rules out there, I'd add:
>
> 3. Committing redundant data to version control is wrong.

Having to debdiff source packages to see what the changes were makes me
think that it's actually useful. At least to me. I'm sorry if that looks
wrong, but I can take the blame for doing things that let me work.

> Personally, I think that the way choose-mirror handled
> Mirrors.masterlist was fine.

Noted.

> Note that it didn't fail if there was a network problem.

This was already noted in an earlier mail.

KiBi.