Re: Consolidating armhf installer flavours

Hi Ian,

[ disclaimer: I don't know anything about arm*… ]

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> (2013-09-24):
> Perhaps it would be sensible to split this patch up and add the new
> flavour now, so folks can test it, and remove the other flavours a bit
> later on.

looks OK to me.

> My only concern would be the short term impact on the build time.
> Looking at [1] it seems that a successful build takes about 30 mins. In
> the short term we would be adding 3 variants
> (armmp-{netboot,network-console,netboot-gtk}) to the existing 4
> (mx5-{netboot,network-console,netboot-gtk} + vexpress-netboot), which I
> estimate would push the build time up to somewhere under an hour.

I don't think that's a problem at all, is it? Trading CPU/build time for
more hardware support looks very OK to me. :-)

If you're concerned about random joe developers, they can still build
one (or a handful) of target(s) under build/, they don't need to build
the whole source package, so that shouldn't be a problem on this side
either.

> Eventually we would drop back down to just the three armmp variants.

That's the kind of decisions I'll leave up to the arm folks. (See
disclaimer above.)

Mraw,
KiBi.